Re: B&G issues

Paul,

Your 54 didn't come with a Paddlewheel. Probably when it was added, parameters were not set...my guess.

Your 54 came with Sonic Speed. 

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 8:56 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Hi Bill, my issue was similar except my paddle wheel and sensor was ok accept the parameter associated to the sow was not activated in the H300 display, this then gave me SOW and correct TW and AW

Regards Paul 55#17

On 13 Aug 2019, at 3:34 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

As you may know, there are only a few values displayed on the B&G Hydra (2000-5000) that are actual. They are AWS, AWA, SOW, and Depth. All of the other values, like True Wind Angle, are calculated by the Hydra, usually using all of the actual values.

If your Speed Over Water (sonic speed or paddlewheel speed) is not working...or any of the other values, the calculated values will not be accurate.

Your issue is that the Sonic Speed is NOT working and the SOW value is not present in the calculation. You need to repair Sonic Speed, which is likely caused by sensors over 10 years old, add a B&G paddlewheel thru-hull, or something else. Check with a B&G rep for all of your options.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:14 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Have you tried entering into Menu and then setup and then calibrate and the entering a source? I’d had the same issue I think and found a source was not assigned such as SOG or similar 

Regards Paul- Fortuna II 55#17

On 13 Aug 2019, at 1:23 pm, Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:

Hello,

I got 2 issues with my B&G H2000:
1. The magnified Wind shows wrong values. It comes from extension processor. We replaced the instrument but still the same.

2. We stored on land for 12 month and did a refit.
When we launched the boat the boat speed through water does not show anything anymore.

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] B&G issues
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
CC:

Thanks Joerg 

I have found the issue, the SOG was not activated in the H3000 set up. All is ok now, but it will improve more once I calabrate all parameters 

Thanks Paul 

On 28 Jul 2019, at 10:19 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Paul, i, too, have had a failure of the sonic speed transducer but the new one - a much revised model Airmar I’m told - has been working flawlessly for 2 years.  If you do not have a BSP reading, you should check what the source of BSP is in the Settings Menu, likely under „system“  If it is the Airmar transducer, you should switch it to the paddle wheel (which is part of the depth and sea temp transducer, which is likely a dst200) and see whether you have BSP.   If you do, replace the sonic speed.  I would contact Stéphane at Pochon for this.  He may be able to get you a new one for free because the old one had known problems, but at least he will be able to tell you which type to get.  I’m not on the boat but can give you that info in late August if you still need it.   If you don’t see BSP with the paddle wheel either, you should check the other settings. Again, I can help in late August. 

You need BSP (or better yet, the drift corrected STW) to calculate the true wind direction and speed that you are seeing on the water - ie the wind speed and direction you need to make decisions whether to tack or gybe, for example, or to calibrate your wind instruments.  You could use SOG, but then you are calculating the TWD and TWS without any current effect and since the boat is sailing in the current, this will give you wrong info.    Even in the Med, current can make a significant difference.  

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.