Re: When to use Running Back Stays and Onan Control Board PCB

Paul Brown

Thanks Scott, does this mean the running back stay is used up or down wind when the stay stay is used? I’m new to a ketch and have a lot to learn- regards Paul

On 13 Aug 2019, at 8:54 pm, Scott SV Tengah <sv.tengah@...> wrote:

I agree that you should ideally use the running backstay anytime you are using the staysail. I will say we do use the preventers anytime we go greater than 100deg apparent. It doesn't take long and the downside is too big.

That said, we don't do everything perfectly aboard Tengah all the time. Regarding the running backstay, if you ever see the baby forestay getting loose from the staysail pulling the mast forward, you definitely want to use the running backstay at that point.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69