From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 9:15 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Engine alignment

David,

Some mechanics have aligned without a special alignment tool (a fixed coupling) designed and made by Amel and easily duplicated in a machine shop. I think perfect alignment without a fixed coupling is 99% luck rather than skill. The alignment is done with the tool, then the engine is slid forward and the tool replaced with a Vetus Coupling.

When the Vetus Coupling is removed, be sure to check the Rubber Bushings inside (sold separately). This is a drawing of that tool for a Super Maramu. Be sure to check the shaft size on your Santorin:

image.png

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 4:22 AM david bruce <davidcbruce57@...> wrote:

Hello all,

We are in Gaeta Italy where mechanics are trying to alleviate a mild but distinct engine vibration noted under load.  I'd rather not go into how this occurred but suffice it to say that moving a boat a few hundred meters at idle to a travel lift minus the stb forward alternator bracket in place is not a good idea.  (bracket was being welded after breaking and landing alt on spinning spline pulley)

 Our well intentioned but seemingly flummoxed non English speaking mechanics have us decoupled ( engine/transmission, not marriage) and best I can tell are ruminating on a fix.  I absolutely don't want to make matters worse.

Any advice on what to do or advise them or what specifically NOT to do at this point would be greatly appreciated.  i think finding someone with significant Amel experience nearby is highly unlikely.

Thanks so much for any advisement.

Best regards,

Dave Bruce
sv Liesse   SN006