Re: Wintering in potentially freezing conditions, water maker?



He is referring to a Speed Transducer fitted in a through-hull fitting. You do not have one, unless your 54 has been changed. However, you do have a Depth Transducer fitted in a through-hull fitting. This is located under the floor and forward of the watertight bulkhead separating the salon from the forward berths. If your 54 is on the hard, you could remove the Depth Transducer and use the through-hull fitting to place the dehumidifier drain hose through.

When anyone is considering purchasing a dehumidifier for this purpose, it must have two features: 
1) When power is lost and returns, it will automatically restart. 
2) The ability to connect a drain hose. 
Many models do not have these two important features. 


CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:34 PM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:
Hi Matt
Excuse my ingorance, but can you tell me where the "knot meter sensor hole is"?
I have no Idea? Maybe I think just on the wrong end?

On 12 Aug 2019, at 23:48, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

Someone previously posted a great idea. Drain the dehumidifier out the removed knot meter sensor hole. 


On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:16 AM, SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:

Hi Miles, ok that pump might be the way to go.  I have also just ordered a couple of 160W tube heaters which I intend to run over winter. One in the engine room and one in the galley.
High tech incandescent lamps!

Also considering a dehumidifier, but need to find somewhere to drain the fluid. Back home in Sydney I use one in another boat (because of wet racing sails, not cold damp weather) and it drains down the galley sink.
However on the Amel it seems a bit crazy to put the fluid into the bilge, then have to rely on the bulge pump!

SY Stella
Anchored off Jura, Scotland


Join to automatically receive all group messages.