Fw: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel 54 main mast seal

Barry Connor

To: Bob Hodkins
Amel  54. #31

Hope this gets to you as the old site stopped.

Barry

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: Barry Connor <connor_barry@...>
To: Barry Connor connor_barry@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 7:46:35 PM GMT+2
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel 54 main mast seal

Dear Bob,

Thank's for all the detail regarding having your mast pad replaced in Martinique. I bought the pad from Sonja at Amel Hyeres and was planning to have it done this year when passing by Hyeres on my way to my staging area in the Canaries before crossing.
I might wait until I get to Martinique to get it done as they seem to have good system. Could be better than having a crane lift the mast whilst the boat is alongside a dock.

Can yo tell me how much they charged to jack up the mast with hydraulic jacks and change the pad?

We have just had Desolator technicians come on the boat at Vauban marina Antibes to change my 14 year old membranes which were less than 400 hours and install the repaired control board. I can not say how happy I am that I decided to let them do the work on the boat and not try to do it half hearted myself. My membranes looked horrible and really needed to be replaced even though they still worked, would not have lasted very much longer. They checked everything and tightened up and replaced some of my tubing for my fresh water after wash system which leaked sometimes, Ruedi on Amel 54 "Wasabi" will remember how this original installed tubing section does leak.. Stopped the salt water drip from the controller panel knob. The Dessalator factory technician was training a new French distributor agent to look after their systems. What I really noticed was that the system starts and changes quickly to "Good Quality" very quickly, less than 1 minute - it was taking about 5 minutes before I got "Good Quality". This could be an indication to other owners when to realize that you need to change your membranes.

Best regards

Barry and Penny
"Lady Penelope II"
Amel. 54. #17
Antibes,  France

On Monday, August 6, 2018, 6:26:54 PM GMT+2, Barry Connor connor_barry@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank's Bob,

This makes it easy to understand, I will only seal the outside edges with my 5200 which I believe will hold the pad together for awhile, I will be in the Caribbean in a year or so and would like to get the experts to do this for me.
Did they replace with an original pad?
I understand Amel are on August holiday, so I will inquire to get a pad when they are back.

Thank's again to all for the help and advise.

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
S/V Lady Penelope II
Amel 54. #17
Sailing Croatia

On Monday, August 6, 2018, 6:45:28 AM EDT, Bob Hodgins bobh@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Barry,
I had my main mast pad changed in January this year in Martinique. I watched and here is what they did.

The jack system they had was specially made for the job. It was a single hand pump for the hydraulic, it was connected to two cylinders, one for each side of the mast. They placed large hard wood blocks on deck to distribute the load, on each side of the mast. The jack cylinders went on top of these blocks, and there was a custom made wood block that fit under the main winch on each side of the mast. When they pumped the jack, each side lifted exactly the same. They lifted it only about 35 or 40 cm, cleaned out the old pad and slid in the new one.

You might not want to be putting 5200 under the mast because it will be difficult to clean out with that limited space to work under the foot. On the outside of the mast might be OK.

My original pad was completely dissolved from age. I think the mast settled down that amount, and caused the rig to be loose. After installing the new pad, they tuned the rig using a tension gauge. I think they did a very good, professional job.

Bob Hodgins
Amel 54 #31
Currently in Raiatea, French Polynesia

-