Re: Always check your contractors' work

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Not all Caraibe's are the same. I had my standing rigging replaced by
Caraibe, and I still think that they did a very good job. But, the
Caraibe Refrigeration guys were idiots. They told me that my aft
Climma Air-conditioning Unit "Had to be REPLACED!!". I told them that
it was the Switch, not the unit. The owner of Caraibe Refrigeration
got so upset he started screaming, and this guy is a 6' 3".. In his
rage he sad, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY, GO BACK TO YOUR BOAT". Yes,
this was all in French, and I don't speak French.... But JP, the
previous owner of Aquarius was with me for translation, and JP looked
at me and told me what he said... So, we just turned and walked away
from him.. And I never paid the bill for them to recharge the two
forward aircon units. O' and I did have the switch replaced later,
and the Climma aircon can still freeze the aft cabin.

I think we all NEED to tell the other owners who did a good job, and
who didn't. Name names, if workers do a good job, or bad! We all
need to know. If there is an owner that had a good experience with
Caraibe Refrigeration, they can speak for themselves. But if you told
me that ... "O, the Caraibe guys replaced my old Climma unit and the
new Unit is working great," I would say "you just got ripped off, and
your old Climma unit is probably installed in another boat working
just fine!"

Ken Powers
Aquarius
Currently in Indonesia

On 8/20/19, Scott SV Tengah <sv.tengah@...> wrote:
Kent,

I know it's Martinique, but I have had good experience with Caraibe Marine
in Le Marin. They generally know Amels quite well. I had them redo my
standing rigging and while all was not perfect, they fixed the problems
without so much as a complaint. They really take pride in their work. I
still had to double check everything but found far fewer problems than with
other contractors.

They do almost everything through their different "divisions" and while
there's an argument that a monopoly is not good, having everything under the
Caraibe umbrella means they can't point fingers at other contractors when
something goes wrong.

They have a decent relationship with and are very close to the Amel office
down there. The Amel guys are very busy and don't do everything, but will
gladly give technical advice to Caraibe Marine. The Amel guys aren't perfect
at English so it's good that everyone is French. :)

Let's just say I am literally sailing all the way back to Martinique for a
few more items before heading through the Canal.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69