Re: Forward Looking Sonar

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

I think the EchoPilot 2D is AWESOME. Great performance for a
reasonable price. Yes, You can say, "O in a particular situation it
didn't work for me, so for that reason I'm going to wait til the price
to come down on the next best thing.... BUT, that's like saying "I
aint going to buy a VHF radio until I can get one for a dollar that
has a range of 50 miles." If you're leaving on a circumnavigation
now, in my opinion, you need a forward looking sonar on your boat...
And, if I would own an insurance company, I wouldn't insure a boat
sailing without a forward looking sonar. Yes, 3D would be better,
but 2 D can save your boat... AND YES EchoPilot 2D did help Aquarius
from hitting the reef in French Poly.

Ken Powers
Aquarius
Currently in Indonesia

On 8/20/19, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had the EchoPilot 2-D on my boat when purchased 10 years ago. I found it
of little use because it only sees a little over a boat length ahead when
you really need it in water less than 4M deep. In muddy water if you are
looking for a channel, it only sees directly in front of the boat. You have
to turn the boat in hopes if identifying deeper water. I was rarely
successful, and was as likely to stumble on the channel as find it with the
sonar.
The transducer has since failed. I’m waiting until the 3D units get better
and cheaper before I replace it.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SN243

On Aug 20, 2019, at 11:34 AM, Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica
<oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:

Hi Scott,

To place the charger in the engineroom has some downsides:
- hunidity
- heat
- limited space so probably the charger is mounted sideways what lowers
airflow.
- long wires

I customized widened the switch area and drilled ventilation holes to the
alley.
I install 120mm thermocontrolled fans with heat alarms to blow fresh air
into the cabinet.

The 120A5000W fits vertical.

The lifepo is smaller than batteries before with same capacity so i could
install a new separation.

The starter batt is now behind the onan in the engine room.

No more dirty lead in the cabin. Hydrogen Should not be an issue as most
other yachts place the starter batt around the engine room.

Oliver from Vela Nautica

A54#39

Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile