Re: Always check your contractors' work

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Greetings All.
Ken speaks the truth. We have engaged the 6.3 ft guy who rides his bike briskly up and down the dock but whose name escapes me. Our thermostat in the main salon quit working. He told me the company that makes the analog units was out of business and only digital thermostats were available. Here's the rub. Our units age made it incompatible with the new thermostat so a whole new unit was required. BS. Coastal climate out of Annapolis to the rescue again. Plenty of analog thermos. Still making them and that was the fix.

Chuck
Joy #388
Summer in SLC Utah Beeeutiful!

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 6:04 PM Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:
Not all Caraibe's are the same.  I had my standing rigging replaced by
Caraibe, and I still think that they did a very good job.  But, the
Caraibe Refrigeration guys were idiots.  They told me that my aft
Climma Air-conditioning Unit "Had to be REPLACED!!".  I told them that
it was the Switch, not the unit.  The owner of Caraibe Refrigeration
got so upset he started screaming, and this guy is a 6' 3"..  In his
rage he sad, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY, GO BACK TO YOUR BOAT".  Yes,
this was all in French, and I don't speak French.... But JP, the
previous owner of Aquarius was with me for translation, and JP looked
at me and told me what he said...  So, we just turned and walked away
from him..  And I never paid the bill for them to recharge the two
forward aircon units.  O' and I did have the switch replaced later,
and the Climma aircon can still freeze the aft cabin.

I think we all NEED to tell the other owners who did a good job, and
who didn't.  Name names, if workers do a good job, or bad!  We all
need to know.  If there is an owner that had a good experience with
Caraibe Refrigeration, they can speak for themselves.  But if you told
me that ...  "O, the Caraibe guys replaced my old Climma unit and the
new Unit is working great,"  I would say "you just got ripped off, and
your old Climma unit is probably installed in another boat working
just fine!"

Ken Powers
Aquarius
Currently in Indonesia