Re: Always check your contractors' work

Scott SV Tengah

Kent,

The electricians connected the MPPT positive output to one of the battery positives, the one in the series pair where the positive terminal was not connected to the main 24v post. I guess this is why this battery got preferentially charged.

I haven't thought through putting it on the load side yet, just remembered that comment and made a note to research further. I do agree that putting it on the load side would mean that you'd have to leave the main switches on for the solar to charge the batteries. Perhaps my boat is wired "wrong" by a previous owner but from my first day of ownership, the bilge pump goes through the main switch. If I turn off the main switches, the bilge pump won't run. I'm too afraid to leave the boat without the bilge pump powered lest Murphy comes and smacks me upside the head. So in effect, the main switch is almost never turned off and is really only for emergencies.

--
ScottĀ
2007 A54 #69