Re: Always check your contractors' work

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

This is how to go one step farther than just supervising your workers:

When I was in Shelter Bay Marina, there was a mechanic there, I think
they call him the Diesel Whisperer, or something like that... His
name might be Greg, and he is one very good mechanic if you need one
in Panama. I hired him to come over and change the coolant in both
the genset and the engine, and also clean out the heat exchangers
because my engine was overheating slightly at 2200 RPM.

When he got to Aquarius I gave him a cold drink, and said... "Today
this is your job, drink as much as you like, but you have to make sure
I do everything correctly".

He had all the proper tools for making sure that they system would
hold pressure, and he just instructed me on how to take everything
apart, and get it back together properly. So, the next time if I had
to do it, I could do it myself. And, I know it was done properly...
Well, it is still working after 600 hours.

O - The reason for the over-heating... 4 small pieces of impellers in
the heat exchanger from before I owned Aquarius.

Ken Powers
Aquarius
Currently in Indonesia

On 8/20/19, Scott SV Tengah <@Tengah> wrote:
Ah ok, I have not had experience with the refrigeration group.

Good thing you guys didn't take what they said at face value! That said, I
still believe having Amel's office nearby is invaluable so my vote is still
for Le Marin.

The electricians in Southern Spain were nice guys so I am a bit loathe to
hang them out to dry. But given how much additional time and money I have
wasted due to their shoddy work, I've realized that it's more important to
me that no fellow Amel owner has to go through what I did.

The group was Electrical Marine Services in Gibraltar. An English guy and a
South African. Initially I was very happy with their work as they actually
showed up on time or at all, unlike some of the other contractors we hired.
They got the work done on time, unlike the other contractors. As time
passed and problems with their work surfaced, my opinion of them changed.

The primary "other" contractor was MH Preserve at Alcaidesa Marina. They
were overwhelmed and understaffed for the quantity of work we had them do -
keep in mind this is right when we bought the boat. They came recommended by
a surveyor but I surmise they were buddies. Anyways it's run by an English
guy and his father does a lot of the work. With that (reverse?) nepotism,
the father was unfireable and the work quality and pace reflected that.
Additionally the marina makes it very expensive to bring in outside
contractors, so you're stuck with them.

The only reason we were able to leave was because my visa was running out.
Otherwise we'd probably still be there today!

-- Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com