Re: Maintenance costs for Amel yachts

Mark Erdos

Orion,

I think you will find the cost and maintenance on Amel boats to be considerably less than others, especially those you mention, Moody and Oyster. When reading this forum, a person needs to keep in mind there are over 1,000 participants and for the most part very few serious complaints about our vessels. All boats will break. The question you should ask yourself is how easy it is to fix. A stand up engine room with access to all sides of both the engine and genset, access to all electronics and steering components, a bow-thruster than can be service while the vessel in the water, a sea-chest to minimize through-hulls and watertight compartments are some of the features that make Amel such attractive boats for serious world cruisers. In addition, the support we receive from Amel for parts is second to none. They are a first-class operation.

Perhaps you should research further. For example, take a look at the Pacific Puddle Jump recaps. http://www.pacificpuddlejump.com/articles.html They list all the boats and the things that broke during the ocean crossing. An example of an Oyster: failures of Autohelm; seacock; spin pole track; waterpump; mainsail clew shackle failed. Three of these are pretty serious.

High cost of maintenance is a given for ALL boats. They are expensive high maintenance divas. Bill Rouse posted an entire budget for a 10 year circumnavigation on his Amel documenting every penny spent. I challenge you to find any other brand of vessel on a 10-year voyage that was meticulously maintained for an average of $9,000 per year. http://svbebe.blogspot.com/p/costs.html

I really do not understand how you are coming to the conclusion Amel boats have higher cost of maintenance and downtime.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us