Re: Maintenance costs for Amel yachts

Paul Brown

Hello, I am an owner of an Amel 55 2013 for the last 16 months and previously for the last 16 years owned 4 other larger boats. All boats can be expensive to maintain and have a basic maintenance requirement. Amel from my experience is an extremely well founded and produced boat, better than most and certainly one of the best all time blue water cruisers. If you were to buy, in my opinion a well maintained, free of issues and well loved Amel SM 54 or 55 you would enjoy its performance and simply need to keep her loved and well maintained. Use an excellent surveyor that knows Amel as a specialty

Best regards, Paul - Fortuna II 55#17

On 22 Aug 2019, at 5:45 am, Orion Martin <poonz1@...> wrote:

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and thank you to the moderators for letting me join this group.

I am currently toying with the idea of purchasing an Amel Super Maramu or Santorin within the next two years. Longing to embark on a circumnavigation, I have researched various bluewater vessels looking at characteristics such as comfort, safety etc. Having come across Sailing SV Delos on Youtube, this was the first time I had ever seen an Amel yacht. At first I thought the Amel Super Maramu was rather quirky, particularly the interior. However, after much research and looking at video, photos etc, I am now utterly enthralled with Amel yachts and think it is the perfect brand to travel the world with.

There is one thing that I noticed from the Delos videos, and subsequently online postings and literature pertaining to the upkeep of Amel yachts is the amount of maintenance and the subsequently high cost of such maintenance. I have minimal experience with yachts from a technical point of view, however I was curious to know whether current Amel yacht owners consider their boats to be more maintenance intensive and costly especially compared with other previous yachts they may have owned. Granted, the Amel has a lot more gadgetry (is that the right word?) than what I have seen compared with a Moody or Oyster. Does the preventative maintenance regime required to keep Amel yachts in good shape mitigate costs as much as it would say with a comparable boat? Or is it by its very nature that the satisfaction of owning an Amel comes at a cost compared with similar blue water vessels?

I love the Amel Super Maramu and the Amel 54, and I have been caught in the cult of Amel as they say. But I was curious as to what current Amel owners think about their relationship with their vessels regarding costs and downtime. I figure that owning a Super Maramu would bring me a lot of joy, but also a lot of headaches in particular if I am to do a circumnavigation. Any opinions and comments regarding this subject warmly welcomed.