Re: Engine Battery cable to starter motor to be replaced - looking for experience

There is a single non-spliced cable from the battery switches for both positive and negative wires. There is a single start battery.

It is not the wire, unless you have cut or damaged one and that is unlikely.

If the battery is good, don't you wonder why jumping the battery starts the engine?

I would remove one battery from the house bank and replace the start battery. If the engine starts, maybe it's the start battery.

Also, you didn't mention the Onan. Does it start without the Yanmar running?  If it does, then it is probably not the start battery, but could be bad connections at the main switch, the switch itself, the battery, or at the starter. If the connections are suspected, clean them and treat with CorrosionX.

Get back to me after you have some answers.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019, 6:32 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Try starting.
Keep let turned for maybe 10 seconds.
Now carefully feel each battery cable termination. Better yet, if you have a no contact infra red thermometer, check each termination’s temperature, including connections at the battery and the starter. You’ll likely find one of them, maybe more, at a relatively high temperature. If so, you’ve found your culprit.
A fix might require cleaning a connection, or recrimping  a termination lug.
Good luck, and don’t burn yourself.....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 22, 2019, at 3:24 PM, Dominique Guenot <dominique_guenot@...> wrote:

Hello,

My engine battery was not able to start the Yanmar this morning.
I jumped start the engine successfully using the House battery bank
The engine battery is 2 month old and charged.

 A reputable electro-mechanic tested Volt and Amp during the start when you turn on the key with the engine battery:
- at battery level it is correct
- at starter motor level there is a significant drop in Volt and Amp, (way more than expected when the starter kicks in) and cannot launch the starter motor.
Therefore he recommends changing the cables which are "consuming Amp" and will eventually stop working.

I never thought that such big cables (35mm2) could degrade and/or stop working?
Is someone had similar problems?
Any recommendation?

Thanks
Dominique