Re: Maintenance costs for Amel yachts

Gary Wells

Hello!

Well, I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as well.
I did a lot of research before landing in a Super Maramu. Several years' worth really,a a lot of it was just dreaming and window shopping.
The Amel won hands-down for me in the most important arena when it can to crossing oceans.with my wife and that was its design with safety in mind.  There were so many places where I found the SM in front of other boats when it came to staying safe that I found myself comparing most other boats I looked at back to the Amel. So, it dawned on me I should quit comparing :)

One thing I totally understand about getting on a very active forum like this is how you could come away thinking that the boats have numerous inherent problems.  Well, I can confidently say that if you go to an Island Packet, Hallbeg-Rassey or Tayana user's group you'll see the same thing only at a different level.

While the Amel group keeps talking about basically the same "issues" over and over again (especially for the hebenefit of new owners)  these items pretty much hold along the line of 'minor' items.
Bow thruster leaks (routine maintenance fixes that), C-Drive oil and seals, (routine maintenance), outhaul, furling, watermaker and other electrical motors and gearboxes all require upkeep and maintenance.
What you don't read about are keel-stepped masts that won't quit leaking into the salon, black tanks that develop holes because they get eaten through, rigging failures under stress, keel failures, hull-to-deck joint leaks, engines that  water-lock in following seas, .. and I guess I'll quit there. There are many boats that require a lot of work to get them seaworthy, and then that seaworthiness diminishes rapidly with miles.  I think dollar-to-mile sailed the Amel is a winner.

There are so many points where Amel has seen other designs not work so well and improved on them.  Water-tight compartments, stainless rail lifelines, hard dodgers you can walk on, sea-chest water inlet, monocoque hull/deck construction, retracting bow thruster, cockpit controlled 1-peraon sail operations and .. I guess you probably know most of that already, but it's simply not like most other production boats.

I think I actually take a bit of joy knowing that if something is going to surprisingly quit working, it is from a rather finite list of mostly non-critical circumstances.
Once you get to the point of knowing 'hmm, that pump doesn't sound quite right .. time to change the filter" you'll come to see that it's not that hard to keep the boat ready to go fairly easily.

Good luck with your research!

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Halifax NS