Re: Replacing all my head/clew/tack lashings - suggestions?

Scott,

I believe that will work fine. Amel used "sail bolt" line. I am not sure why, but it was probably a decision of the sail subcontractor.

As far as I know, Amel chose to never use metal shackles.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019, 7:59 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
What are you all using to lash your sail heads/foots/clews?

The previous owner put a stainless shackle on the Genoa swivel and then attached the head to that. Of course, stainless + aluminum resulted in damage to the swivel enough that even though I tried to smooth it out, it caused the replacement lashing line to chafe right though in about a year. I only caught it recently when we took down the sails to have them refreshed - another few hundred miles and the Genoa would have taken a swim!

Rather than risk this happening again, I am replacing all my lashing lines. What do you guys use? I am considering 6mm double braid dyneema with a breaking strength similar to the recommended Genoa halyard. I'll be looping it a few times between the head and the swivel.

The other option is a soft shackle, which is what is used on the Genoa foot (included with the Bamar EFJ-1 furler).

Strength is important but I really want to oversize, at least the Genoa head swivel connection, to maximize longevity against abrasion. I'm actually going to add an additional, longer independent lashing so that if the primary lashing fails, the Genoa will sag, but not drop in the ocean. An alarm system, if you will.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69