From: CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Aug 29, 2019 9:04 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Lifting an engine using a beam on cockpit seats #IMPORTANT

Very Interesting thread on engine lift using a beam on cockpit seats.

I saw a SM with delaminated fiberglass on the cockpit seat exactly where a beam you describe would rest on the seat. I never connected the seat delamination to an engine lift, which I believe occurred on that SM. NOW, I DO.

I doubt the seat is designed to take significant weight. I would CAUTION this practice.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019, 4:57 AM christian alby via Groups.Io <calbyy=yahoo.fr@groups.io> wrote:
We did it already on our Maramu, lifting off & replacing engine afloat.
A stout piece of timber on top of engine, resting on cockpit side benches & main sheet did the trick once the engine was disconnected from its holding bolts fastenings to the support frame ...
This was the hard part
- one nut on rear aft stb side gave poor access with the famous 1/8th of a turn with open wrench already grinded to enter space betwen batteries compartment & engine base; guess you can expect one of those
- engine base & mountings stuck by grease, & salt & whatever when trying to lift first, high resistance countered using crowbar & wooden block & wedges & sledgehammer (cautious when beating).
- removal of shaft was easy enough (4 bolts & nuts 10mm) then moved by hand; reverse to connect checking alignement respected when reinstating (clock markings on flange helped)
all makes an interesting day of work, & good Opportunity to clean Bottom & repair paint work. Satisfaction when completed - do not forget to check tightening of bolts on support frame after a while running - they come loose unless you Added loctite on threads.

Meanwhile fair winds & Following seas

chrsitian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - now in Canet Roussillon

Le jeudi 29 août 2019 à 05:28:30 UTC−4, smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard=yahoo.com@groups.io> a écrit :

HI there
When we dis this on our Maramu we just put a i-Beam across the (padded) cockpit coaming and then used a lifting tackle off that
It worked well and was very simple
I presume the same would apply for the Mango but i'm not sure if you have the same lifting cockpit floor engine access?
All the best