Re: Santorin Balooner

Eamonn Washington

Hi, I have been wondering about what to do when the true wind gets to 20 knots.  Amel says if the true wind exceeds 20 knots then the balooner and foresail may be rolled together.  I wondered if the documentation meant fully rolled together (to protect the nylon balooner from ripping) or just reefed, so partly furling the 2 sails together and continue with no risk of damage to the balooner.

Based on Ian’s experience, partly furling seems to work fine.  Dave suggested it would distort the balooner to have it reefed in over 20 knots.  What is the experience and recommendations of this group?

I have only used the main balooner a dozen times for practice day trips and one overnight so far, and always removed it when the wind got to 15 knots true, up to now.  I hope to have the twin headsails up all the time for an upcoming Atlantic crossing, but this 20 knots Amel recommendation was always ambiguous to me.

Thanks

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151