Re: Santorin Balooner

heinz@quetzal.berlin

Hello
When crossing the Atlantic and the Pacific, We only rolled up the balooner as far as necessary. When the thunderstorm was over it was easy to roll it out again.
We never had any damage to the sail. Even if one is alone at the helm.
But at night it is necessary to use the radar, so the thunderstorms can be seen very well and you can reef in time.

Fare winds
Heinz, Sailing yacht Quetzal, SM 2000, 292

Am 01.09.2019 um 22:41 schrieb Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...>:

Hi, I have been wondering about what to do when the true wind gets to 20 knots.  Amel says if the true wind exceeds 20 knots then the balooner and foresail may be rolled together.  I wondered if the documentation meant fully rolled together (to protect the nylon balooner from ripping) or just reefed, so partly furling the 2 sails together and continue with no risk of damage to the balooner.

Based on Ian’s experience, partly furling seems to work fine.  Dave suggested it would distort the balooner to have it reefed in over 20 knots.  What is the experience and recommendations of this group?

I have only used the main balooner a dozen times for practice day trips and one overnight so far, and always removed it when the wind got to 15 knots true, up to now.  I hope to have the twin headsails up all the time for an upcoming Atlantic crossing, but this 20 knots Amel recommendation was always ambiguous to me.

Thanks

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151