Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

karkauai

 Hi Dean,

How long has it been since you change the prop shaft seals?

I would recommend that you go ahead and change them now. You have no way of knowing if water is getting in there as well as through the V bolt hole.  If you don’t change them now, and you go back in the water to find it’s still getting water into the oil, you’ll have to haul out again.

Be sure to follow the instructions on this site completely.  I have been putting my seals in as several have suggested to keep water out more than to keep oil in.  That’s because I’ve never lost oil and I have had water ingress a few times in the past.  Since changing orientation of the seals from forward to aft so that on the first one in, the open spring side faces forward, the next two aft, I have had no water in the oil and no loss of oil for 6 years.  I am overdue for a haul out by almost a year and just noticed some loss of oil.

Others here, notably Bill R, strongly recommend that you follow Amel’s recommendation of orienting the seals forward, forward, then aft, so that the first two are keeping oil in and the last is keeping water out.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Sep 4, 2019, at 12:21 PM, SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:

Nick,
We are ashore, masts up in Ardrossan.
yep it’s a windy place, I lived here for a year when I was a kid. Its averaging 30 gusting 40 knots today.
No boatcover this year!
Cheers
Dean