Re: Victron Quattro 5000 Location

Andrew & Kate Lamb

We installed a quattro and Victron isolation transformer in 2013 in the engine room vertically where the Mastervolt 100Amp charger and the Mastervolt 30 Amp charger were. We then doubled up the two sets of cables for these devices to connect to the Victron. We had a small inverter under the chart table which had thick cabling to the batteries in place, this we replaced with the 30Amp Mastervolt charger as a backup charger. It has worked very well but we have found that it gets quite hot when charging and inverting but particularly when inverting. On occasion to the extent we received high temperature alarms in the Victron  Color Control.

There are fans come on in the engine room for the motor and for the genset and we have investigated but not implemented yet the option of automatically switching on one or other of these using one of the inbuilt Quattro relays when the heat is above a certain level – I believe that this is possible and I think  this would be essential for extended inverting under significant loads. I think from a noise point of view that there is a significant hum from the device that may become annoying in the cabin besides the additional heat.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM472

Canet-en-Roussillon

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Elaine Leishman
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2019 8:56 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Victron Quattro 5000 Location

We are going to install a victron quattro 5000 inverter/charger and looking for advice as to the location on a super Maramu 2000.
We are looking at 2 options,  .

- locating it next to the nav station in the storage area on the wall that divides the companion way.  This would keep the 24v cabling shorter and hopefully provide a cooler, cleaner environment.  Weight on the starboard side wouldn't hurt.  Question, how much noise do they make when running, compared to the fridge?

- locating it in the engine room, shorter to 40v power cabling, wouldn't hear it running over the gender.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, 
Elaine and Michael 
SM251 Nebo
Hobart

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.