Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Scott SV Tengah

Joerg,

1) I need to do more research when I get ready to wire my genset to start automatically, but I have heard that the Onan will shut itself down if it detects low oil pressure, over temperature on the coolant, etc. Does anyone know if this is true?

2) It can get warm, yes. It's in the engine room where the old Dolphin 100 was located. There is an air intake directed right at it, which Amel installed for the Dolphin. The Quattro has its own fans and they will kick on after a long period of charging or high load inverting. But I can only hear it if the engine room hatch is open and I've never noted charging current being limited or inverting wattage being limited, so at least with my usage, heat has not been a problem. Another post mentioned it would be nice to have the Quattro trigger the Amel-installed exhaust fans if temps got above XXXX, which I think is a great idea. The Quattro has programmable relays, so that shouldn't be difficult.

3) The way the Quattro is setup is that you have AC-Out1 which feeds both passthrough shorepower/genset 230v AND inverter 230V. There is then AC-Out2 which only feeds passthrough shorepower/genset 230v. The only thing we have wired to AC-Out2 is the Victron Skylla-i 24/80 charger.

I didn't do the actual connection but had a long discussion with the electrician to ensure the practical operation was how I wanted it. He didn't note any difficulties in wiring it up, so I presume it wasn't hard.

4) First off, I wouldn't want them staying at 100% or anywhere near that. Lithium irreversibly loses capacity if you hold them at high SOC. Secondly, there is a small load from the 24-12v downconverters and frankly, I don't want to lose all the saved settings on the radio, B&G, etc. If the boat is in the water, I want to have power in case the bilge pumps need to operate. Call me paranoid, but well, things happen!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69