Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Scott SV Tengah

I considered waiting too and we decided we wanted to be able to take advantage of the benefits now, during our circumnavigation.

It is a personal decision though. The technology isn't to the point where you just order it off the shelf, drop it in and it all works perfectly. I think even with current systems, you could achieve that, but it requires lots of thinking and planning to get there. It's simply too new for most marine electricians to understand. Lead acid has been around for nearly 100 years and can take the abuse. I would argue that, given the number of Amel's I've heard of with lead acid battery bank explosions/problems, lead acid isn't there either.

For us, however, the ability to run the washer, the dishwasher, the toaster, the microwave, the induction cooker, the projector, the water maker, the water heater, aircon,...all without turning on the generator and getting a massive boost in charging efficiency and high load output efficiency - well I wouldn't want to give that up and wait for something that may be better at some indeterminate point in the future.

The problem with lithium is that there isn't a boat-specific drop in solution. It's too new and there are far too few users for any company to put the R&D into that. I surmise when the new technology comes out, the same lag will be there.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69