Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Scott SV Tengah

Dan,

Answers to your questions:

1) As I mentioned, I didn't want to mess around with different manufacturers in case the expensive batteries died. I learned this from when I was working - to the extent possible, make sure you have one responsible party when there are many interconnected systems/processes. If you buy a Winston battery, which I considered, and it dies, they will certainly blame the Victron charger. Victron will claim their charger is perfect. You are now the one paying for a new one out of pocket. By going Victron on battery and charger and getting Victron to help me set it up, I am more likely to have the warranty honored.

Lithium requires enough thinking, I didn't want to try to invent more things than I needed to.

2) I have redundancy with my Skylla-i, as I described. I also envisioned using it to charge the bank and then running off inverter when in 110/220 60hz countries. See original text. It's not rocket science, so I would just re-wire if there's a failure. I also have the old 800w Mastervolt inverter as a backup.

3) See original text. I talk about my thoughts on this.

FYI we use close to 5kw a day, maybe a bit more. Solar provides most of it. I surmise if we didn't cook with induction/electric kettle/microwave and used the gas stove instead, we'd use a lot less. But induction is far superior, in my opinion. We keep the gas as a backup, however. Too many things need to go right for induction to work to rely on it exclusively.

--
ScottĀ
2007 A54 #69