Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Scott SV Tengah

Glad to provide my experiences in hopes that it helps someone else. I have gotten so much value out of this forum that I'm happy to give back whenever I can, which admittedly isn't that often.

By the way, here's a Victron white paper I read re: generators.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/VE_Marine_generator_test_RVA_07-jan-2008.pdf

Our 11kw Onan runs most efficiently around 8kw. The slope of load vs. relative efficiency flattens out around 6-7kw. This is about where the generator sits when I have both the Quattro and Skylla chargers putting 200amps into the lithium batteries. We like to live comfortably, but we're also not-so-closet environmentalists. So we try to do what we can to reduce our impact. Solar plus concentrating our genset usage appears to allow us to live comfortably and minimize our impact.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69