Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Matt Salatino

Very interesting article

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 7, 2019, at 5:11 AM, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Thanks again, Scott, for all your thoughts and help on this topic.  I wanted to share with the group a quite technical article I downloaded quite some time ago based upon advice from the Delos guys.  They apparently relied on the guy who wrote the article quite a bit in putting together their system.

There are several articles in the link but the first one is a good start - although quite technical.  My key takeaways include:

*Charge current should not exceed 30% of the battery capacity - ie 30A for a 100 Ah battery
*batteries should not be charged to 100%, only 90%

Another article linked here says that you have to have a system that takes up charge currents generated by any charging source in case the battery management system shuts down the batteries.  If you don’t, the charging sources (alternator, charger, combi) will blow up.  The guys at Delos, if I recall correctly, rigged up the starter battery to take up the charging current in this case.

One more thing:  according to the article, Lithium batteries are totally intolerant to overcharging whereas Lead Acid batteries give you some wiggle room.  This gave me particular thought because I had an episode of overcharging this summer because of a loose connection of the sensing wire of the alternator regulator.  Charging voltage was up over 31V for at least 10 minutes until I shut down the engine.  My gel batteries survived the episode without missing a beat.  Would Lithiums have been destroyed?  There's obviously a lot to learn about Lithium.

Hope this helps!

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Currently in Cadiz