Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

It looks to me that there is some sort of O ring at the top of the threaded portion. It is black. What is that?

I would guess the chance of having water inside the C-Drive 4 years beyond service date is very high.

Regarding the drain plug area, is the GRP also cracked? See below:
image.png
I am sure it must be an illusion, but the mark in the metal appears to be raised. I am going to assume that it is an indention. The shell of the C-Drive is made of GRP, and there are metal inserts that support bearing connection points, seal points, and this particular drain plug hole. I think you need some expert advice from someone knowledgeable of the manufacturing process of the C-Drive in order to find the best solution. I will offer a temporary recommendation, without any direct knowledge of the C-Drive manufacturing process: Since there is not any significant positive or negative pressure inside the C-Drive, I would be tempted to use Silicone RTV to fill the indentation of that scratch and also on the O Ring...at least until someone can offer an expert solution.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:41 PM Tim Melbourne <tim@...> wrote:
Here's a related problem- either a crack or deep scratch along the surface that seats the V-plug O-ring (see attached photo).
Last haul out my oil also came out milky, but the propshaft seals were 4 years past changeout date, so I can't know whether seawater got in under the O-ring via this crack or through the mainshaft seals.
Anybody have an idea for a fix?   Fill it with epoxy and sand it fine?  Somehow put in a new seating?
Previous owner said "Ignore it, it's been there since 2003." which I find unsettling.

Tim
SM2K #306