Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Tim,

Amel recommend replacing the 3 c drive shaft seals and the wearing bearing every 1000hrs. Most of us do the change biannually regardless of hours. It is an easy and relatively low cost preventative maintenance item done conveniently at a programmed haul out. If yours are over 4 years I would place that very high on the probability scale for water ingress. Both the seals and the wearing bearing should be replaced. I wont express an opinion on the sealing of the plug.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 08 September 2019 at 07:23 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

It looks to me that there is some sort of O ring at the top of the threaded portion. It is black. What is that?

I would guess the chance of having water inside the C-Drive 4 years beyond service date is very high.

Regarding the drain plug area, is the GRP also cracked? See below:
image.png
I am sure it must be an illusion, but the mark in the metal appears to be raised. I am going to assume that it is an indention. The shell of the C-Drive is made of GRP, and there are metal inserts that support bearing connection points, seal points, and this particular drain plug hole. I think you need some expert advice from someone knowledgeable of the manufacturing process of the C-Drive in order to find the best solution. I will offer a temporary recommendation, without any direct knowledge of the C-Drive manufacturing process: Since there is not any significant positive or negative pressure inside the C-Drive, I would be tempted to use Silicone RTV to fill the indentation of that scratch and also on the O Ring...at least until someone can offer an expert solution.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:41 PM Tim Melbourne < tim@...> wrote:
Here's a related problem- either a crack or deep scratch along the surface that seats the V-plug O-ring (see attached photo).
Last haul out my oil also came out milky, but the propshaft seals were 4 years past changeout date, so I can't know whether seawater got in under the O-ring via this crack or through the mainshaft seals.
Anybody have an idea for a fix?   Fill it with epoxy and sand it fine?  Somehow put in a new seating?
Previous owner said "Ignore it, it's been there since 2003." which I find unsettling.

Tim
SM2K #306