Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

Dean,

A few years ago Amel changed the spec for all C-Drives to 80-90 gear oil. I always used waterproof grease on the lip seals, but always used silicone grease on any O ring. A crop-dusting helicopter pilot once told me that O ring failure is a very important issue with helicopters and he and his friends insisted on Trident Silicone Grease, only found in dive shops and also on Amazon.
image.png

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 3:33 PM SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks to everyone for the guidance.

I found a source for the Dowty/ Bonded Seal washers, and have renewed the O-ring.
Could not get the V bolt to align with 1 or 2 Dowty washers, and 3 was too many. So have resorted to mastic like others to complete the seal.  Not very happy with that solution, but it seems to be accepted method so we’ll see how it goes.

Now part way through replacing the bushing and lip seals, so will be able to fill the transmission with oil before wintering. A little tricky finding ‘silicon’ grease around here on a Sunday :-)

One final question on this little project. I remember having previously seen discussion about which oil to use. I have both 15W40 engine oil and 80W90 gear oil.

Which should I use?

Many thanks
Dean
SY Stella