Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

John Clark

Tim, I agree with Bill.  Not sure of the core foundational construction of the c-drive but I would bet a dollar that for that drain port the seal is the o-ring. I would replace the o-ring and liberally goop the nut with sealant.    The most likely source of water in the oil is the shaft seals.... especially if they are old.  I change mine every haul out(2-3 years) as the previous owners coached me to do and have not had any issues.

It is fairly simple to do just be patient, clean the area and don't force anything.

I used the heavy weight oil last time with no problems.

My SM is an early model but has the late model c-drive (and TMD-22) thanks to previous owner repower at La Rochelle in 2002....so it should be the same as yours.

Regards,. John
SV Annie  SM37
still floating in Brunswick GA

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 10:41 PM Tim Melbourne <tim@...> wrote:
Here's a related problem- either a crack or deep scratch along the surface that seats the V-plug O-ring (see attached photo).
Last haul out my oil also came out milky, but the propshaft seals were 4 years past changeout date, so I can't know whether seawater got in under the O-ring via this crack or through the mainshaft seals.
Anybody have an idea for a fix?   Fill it with epoxy and sand it fine?  Somehow put in a new seating?
Previous owner said "Ignore it, it's been there since 2003." which I find unsettling.

Tim
SM2K #306