Lip Seals and Outhaul gearbox

Mike Ondra

Some have fitted the outhaul gearbox with grease fittings. How has that worked out?

We have been trying to seal the top shaft with RTV where water lays to try to mitigate water intrusion and rust. Other ideas?

Also the factory paint job seemed to hold up only 2 or 3 years. Power coat or epoxy on the, what appears to be, cast aluminum?

Thanks, Mike

Rebuilding our outhaul gearbox, bow thruster, and replacing drive shaft seals pushed me to do an inventory of all our lip seals. Thought the list might be of use to others, or others may have additions/corrections/comments in developing a master, at least for SMs. Note our hull #240.