Soda Blasting of underwater GPR Area.

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Looking for opinions from the AMEL Group about Soda Blasting

Because I don’t’ know the history of the last 12 years on WASABI what was below the recent AF, how many layer of AF etc. I have in mind to sand down all the old layers. Before I bought my beloved AMEL I owned an Aluminum Boat and treatment of underwater where different.  I got an offer from MANOEL Yacht Yard in Malta to remove old paint with Soda Blasting of the underwater GPR Area.

I don’t know this process and asking the group of their knowledge and how good/bad it is for the undelaying Gelcoat?

Is there anything to be aware or specific care to know when doing Soda Blasting?

I know from reading that sandblasting can damage the gel-coat, is Soda Blasting same or less invasive for the hull?

Best regards

Ruedi

SY-WASABI

AMEL 54#55