Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io" <ngtnewington@...>
Datum: Montag, 16. September 2019 um 19:39
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Soda Blasting of underwater GPR Area.

Hi Ruedi,
In my opinion soda blasting is great at removing old paint and leaving a perfect surface for epoxy primer; so long as the operator knows what he is doing...
That is a big caveat.
In the wrong hands the gelcoat can be damaged such that it will require some filling and fairing.
Perhaps you can see a sample of the work.
Sand and grit blasting are more aggressive and best avoided.

Nick
Amelia AML 54-019
Kefalonia

On 16 Sep 2019, at 18:22, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Why don't you ask Amel?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, 11:46 AM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

Looking for opinions from the AMEL Group about Soda Blasting

Because I don’t’ know the history of the last 12 years on WASABI what was below the recent AF, how many layer of AF etc. I have in mind to sand down all the old layers. Before I bought my beloved AMEL I owned an Aluminum Boat and treatment of underwater where different.  I got an offer from MANOEL Yacht Yard in Malta to remove old paint with Soda Blasting of the underwater GPR Area.

I don’t know this process and asking the group of their knowledge and how good/bad it is for the undelaying Gelcoat?

Is there anything to be aware or specific care to know when doing Soda Blasting?

I know from reading that sandblasting can damage the gel-coat, is Soda Blasting same or less invasive for the hull?

Best regards

Ruedi

SY-WASABI

AMEL 54#55