Re: Soda Blasting of underwater GPR Area.

Matt Salatino

I believe they use crushed walnut shells as the medium, not sand. Whatever it is, isn’t abrasive enough to penetrate the gelcoat. Careful selection of blasting media is important.......or you’re right, you could damage the hull.....

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 17, 2019, at 4:00 AM, Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

Thank you Nick, Matt Arlo, Bill and Mark for your advice..
Ruedi
WASABI
AML 54-055
Syracus (Sicily)

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io" <ngtnewington@...>
Datum: Montag, 16. September 2019 um 19:39
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Soda Blasting of underwater GPR Area.

Hi Ruedi,
In my opinion soda blasting is great at removing old paint and leaving a perfect surface for epoxy primer; so long as the operator knows what he is doing...
That is a big caveat.
In the wrong hands the gelcoat can be damaged such that it will require some filling and fairing.
Perhaps you can see a sample of the work.
Sand and grit blasting are more aggressive and best avoided.

Nick
Amelia AML 54-019
Kefalonia

On 16 Sep 2019, at 18:22, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Why don't you ask Amel?

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, 11:46 AM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

Looking for opinions from the AMEL Group about Soda Blasting

Because I don’t’ know the history of the last 12 years on WASABI what was below the recent AF, how many layer of AF etc. I have in mind to sand down all the old layers. Before I bought my beloved AMEL I owned an Aluminum Boat and treatment of underwater where different.  I got an offer from MANOEL Yacht Yard in Malta to remove old paint with Soda Blasting of the underwater GPR Area.

I don’t know this process and asking the group of their knowledge and how good/bad it is for the undelaying Gelcoat?

Is there anything to be aware or specific care to know when doing Soda Blasting?

I know from reading that sandblasting can damage the gel-coat, is Soda Blasting same or less invasive for the hull?

Best regards

Ruedi

SY-WASABI

AMEL 54#55