Re: Mast foot rubber seal pad

Roque

Hi Ruedi

If the leak you are worried about is water getting inside the boat, then don’t. This pad is not intended to seal that.

It is made out of PU (polyurethane), 90 SH (“hardness”), 5 mm thick. Several A54 reported a short life span of this material. Mine was paper thin after 8 years. The Mizzen pad usually holds longer.

I have discussed this with a few experienced Amel owners and with a very knowledgeable Naval Engineer who build boats over 100 ft. and it seems that replacing it with phenolic laminated (such as Tufnol), would be an improvement. It is a little harder (103 SH), though.

Regarding Amel statement that “Even if it looks ugly and very worn there is no need to change it”, I would only add that, as it gets thinner and thinner, you have to check and adjust the standing rigging.

Enjoy Sicily

Roque

Attika A54 117

Paraty- Rio de Janeiro

Em qua, 18 de set de 2019 às 06:48, Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> escreveu:

Hi Folks

The mast foot rubber pad on my boat is quite brown and very brittle. I’m a bit nervous that it will leak one day (see pictures).

I heard from Barry “Lady Penelope II” that he changed the Mast-Foot Rubber Pad in Hieres recently.

I asked AMEL and got the answer that they haven’t done it very often and I should not worry about it. “Even it looks ugly and very worn there is no need to change it”, Amel said. In Hieres they did it first time 2 weeks ago with “Lady Penelope II”. Barry mentioned the rubber was like fluid and I’m confused about the answers from AMEL.

What is your experience and who has done it on their SM or 54 over the years?

Thanks a lot and kind regards

Ruedi

SY-WASABI

AMEL 54#55