Lithium and the "first mover" dilemma

Thomas Kleman

I've read with great interest the insightful posts of the group on this topic. Like most Amelians, I envision L'ORIENT (SM2K 422) with a lithium battery system in the future. But when ? This space seems to be still evolving and the costs of conversion are intimidating. A few recent posts included conversion costs (others have not). More than $20k is the placeholder I keep in my head. And the missing data point in all these impressive technical posts is the 600 pound gorilla in the room....how long does all this stuff last ? While saving fuel and running A/C off batteries is mind blowing stuff, $20k buys 8 lead acid battery banks (of 12 each). The health of the lithium batteries seems to depend on quite a bit of peripheral technology and there are undeniably some unknowns out there that impact this question. I'm sure the tone of the very comprehensive "one year out" update would change if the batteries failed in 4 years. Anyway, I would count myself in the group wanting to be a late adopter vs a last adopter. Wondering how others perceive this ?

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama