Re: Lithium and the "first mover" dilemma

Paul Brown

Hi Tom,

I can share my experience using the Mastervolt MLI Ultra 24/5000 x4  = 720ah and the range of MV chargers, including MV solar charger and MV management system on board Fortuna for the past 5 years, I have found it to be an truly amazing experience after owning 5 other vessels over the last 16 years and 100% reliable.

Also with the support from mastervolt providing peace of mind and as they have suggested the batteries could last 20+ years by their account with ample cycles specified, If this is to be the case I expect it to be a most realistic and worth while investment compared to previous technology and the most economic outlay long term.

I would suggest you should consider speaking with a reliable mastervolt technician and ask questions.

All the best

Regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17

On 25 Sep 2019, at 6:06 pm, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

I've read with great interest the insightful posts of the group on this topic. Like most Amelians, I envision L'ORIENT (SM2K 422) with a lithium battery system in the future. But when ? This space seems to be still evolving and the costs of conversion are intimidating. A few recent posts included conversion costs (others have not). More than $20k is the placeholder I keep in my head. And the missing data point in all these impressive technical posts is the 600 pound gorilla in the room....how long does all this stuff last ? While saving fuel and running A/C off batteries is mind blowing stuff, $20k buys 8 lead acid battery banks (of 12 each). The health of the lithium batteries seems to depend on quite a bit of peripheral technology and there are undeniably some unknowns out there that impact this question. I'm sure the tone of the very comprehensive "one year out" update would change if the batteries failed in 4 years. Anyway, I would count myself in the group wanting to be a late adopter vs a last adopter. Wondering how others perceive this ?

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama