Re: Lithium and the "first mover" dilemma

Mark McGovern

Tom,

You are not alone in your trepidation as to when to pull the trigger on LiFePO4.  I am right there with you.  I have read the posts from Scott (Tengah), Paul (Fortuna II), Thomas (Garulfo) and Peregrinus with rapt interest.  Thank you all for sharing the details of your setups and your experiences.  It has been truly invaluable.  I have also consumed as much information as I can about the technology outside of this forum.

Thankfully, I somewhat forced myself into waiting a few years to make the switch.  Right after I purchased Cara about 2 years ago I found that I needed to replace the entire bank of 12 batteries.  At the time the whole boat was new to me and I had so much else to learn about that I knew I was not ready to commit the time, energy, and $$$ necessary to research, learn, and install a whole new electrical generating/storing/inverting system.  So I purchased twelve inexpensive Deka Marine Master DC31DT wet cell lead acid batteries for a whopping total of ~$1500.  This relatively minor but not inconsequential investment forced me to wait and bought me some time to research and learn.  Thanks to the help of the guys above and others sharing their experiences here and other places I think I will be ready when the time comes to replace my reliable wet cell lead acid dinosaurs in a few more years. I really can't wait - but I will.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara