Re: Bow thruster seals

JOHN HAYES

Hi from Noumea

We made replacements using wet suit material

So far worked perfectly across a couple of thousand miles of the pacific

John Hayes

NGA Waka

On 26/09/2019, at 5:50 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Bob, facinating memories. It would have been 2009. As to bow thruster. On 299 there is open access from the bow thruster to the bilge beside the forward head. Any leak accumulates there. However I dont wait for that volume. I just have a look periodically at where the thruster tube comes through the hull. If there is the slightest trickle I replace the lip seal. However this time I found some water in the bilge when I went to remove the speed log transducer when it blocked as we sailed through floating pumice from an undersea eruption near Tonga. As i said before, it would be only the third time in 11 years I have done this between haulouts.

Kind regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 26 September 2019 at 04:07 rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,
I've wondered about this.  How do you spot water in the bow thruster?
Bob, KAIMI SM 429

Flashback:  Years ago (12?) our Santorin we were anchored near Ocean Pearl outside the Annapolis boat show.  Earlier I had mentioned that we always leave a note with our names and cell phone numbers near our helm.  Got a call from Danny as we were headed to our dingy from the show....a Pinky Schooner was on a rope rode and wandering around smacking into boats.....Danny had remembered this and located our number and called us.  The schooner had bent our lifeline tubing but we were able to prevent another attack (with his help) and warn other boats!  We've always left our number in the cockpit--actually had a plastic placard made up-- AND we use magic marker to put our cell numbers on the dingy transom.