Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main Sail Furling Motor Issue

Scott SV Tengah

I can attest that the mainsail manual furling gearbox's larger, upper lip seal on my Amel54 was 45x58x7 mm OD had a machine shop remove the old bearings and seals and he called me to inform me that there was no way the 45x60x7 mm that I supplied was going to fit. Not believing him, I checked with my own eyes - 60mm was far too large.

If you can remove the manual furling gearbox first, you can probably see the text on your larger, upper lip seal as it's probably in decent condition since it's protected by the V ring seal. The fact that most other owners seem to confirm their OD is 60mm implies to me that you really should check your own seal dimensions before buying replacements.

FYI - my tapered bearing was 80% shattered and had rollers floating in what remained of the grease from the last time I checked it 18 months ago.  I'll be checking the seals far more often going forward.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69