Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main Sail Furling Motor Issue

Mark McGovern

Scott,

I agree 100% that if possible, disassembling the part that you are rebuilding first and checking what is already installed before ordering replacement parts is the best course of action to take for all projects like this.  That is exactly what I did in this case.

I also verified that the parts that I ordered actually fit back together correctly before I made my post.  I have found that you should NOT always assume that what is already installed in your boat is the correct part. Especially if you are NOT the original owner of the boat!  I am the fourth owner of Cara and I have made that mistake on more than one occasion.

And one last caution - don't assume that the information that you get from Amel is 100% correct.  The amount of information that is available to us from Amel as far as assembly drawings, parts lists, etc. is incredible for a boat of this age.  We are extremely lucky to have such great support from Maud, Thierry, and Amel.  However, there is obviously some variation between models and even between hull numbers within the same model that has not been fully documented at Amel.  In this case, the Assembly Drawing and Parts List that a fellow SM owner got from Amel for the Main Furler listed the upper lip seal as 45mm x 58mm x 7mm.  That obviously would not have worked on Cara but would have on Tengah.

Less than 18 month life for a bearing that sees such relatively minimal use is not good!  Makes me wonder about the quality and/or installation of the old bearing.  And makes me worried about the quality and installation of mine!  I will put it on the schedule to pull the assembly down and open it up next year to have a look at the bearings.  If you are interested, here is a link from Timken on bearing failure analysis:  https://www.timken.com/pdf/5892_Bearing%20Damage%20Analysis%20Brochure.pdf

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara