Re: Solar and shade

Paul Brown

Hi Joerg,

I have two large panels over the dingy davits and fixed to the Simpson Davis and are wired in parallel which works if one panel is shaded... I’m working with a stainless steel designer to manufacture a platform that will house 4 large panels providing max power 1320w/24v which realistically should produce around Max 32A continuous under normal operating solar conditions e.g. full direct sun and raise the panels to around mizzen  boom height to reduce shading issues and allow ample head room when disembarking via the passerella

Also mounting all 4 panels above the davits allow simple wiring through the davits and the lazarette and simple to wire 2x2 in parallel to reduce assist the shading effects

I hope to a achieve an aesthetic structure and stable for high winds with the Simpson Davits not being over loaded while gaining more rigidity into the Davit structure, I saw similar structures recently on many catamarans at the Cannes boat show

I considered mounting the two additional panels above the wheel house but I figure so many issues with shading and increased wiring and additional holes, also it may restrict the use of the sliding roof

If there is a more practical and better way to gain this level of generation and maximise its production with reduced shading effect by positioning then any assistant or comments would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17

On 28 Sep 2019, at 8:41 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

I’m thinking about where to add more solar to my boat and the wheel house of the A55 is an obvious place.  Problem is that the space is often shaded by the boom, particularly at anchor.  Would it help to use two panels - one on starboard and one on port - with separate controllers?

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
Currently in Cascais