Re: Solar and shade

Paul Brown

Hi Scott,

thank you for the information, it would be great assistance if you could send some photos, I like your idea of combining the arch with the davits, it would maintain the SWL of the davit system I expect well.

I’m intending to run a set of wires for each panel from the panels to the controller in the event that perhaps  individual controllers are the answer down the track. I know a catamaran owner that has I think around ten panels and each has its own controller, he said this system works great reducing the shading effect.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Kind regards, Paul Fortuna II 55/17

On 28 Sep 2019, at 19:02, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

I have an A54, but I installed three 320W LG Neon2 panels in parallel on an arch that while it can probably stand on its own, is also attached to the top of the Simpson Davits. I called Simpson and they stated that they can't openly recommend doing what I did because it might deform the tubing on the Davits, making sliding in and out difficult, but off the record it'd probably be OK.

I would not suggest putting the weight of all the panels on the davits alone without additional connections to the stern.

If you'd like, I can take some photos of my setup. It's held in 70 knot winds, so the strength seems sufficient.

Separate controllers would help reduce the effects of shading, for sure. We just went parallel instead. FYI I went for the Victron 150v/35amp model because the literature suggested that the MPPT is good for 1000w systems and mine is rated for 960w. I can attest that my LG panels have hit the 35amp limit on sunny days, so if I'd do it again, I'd upsize the MPPT.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69