Re: Volvo TMD22 Timing Belt

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Mike,

I changed my Volvo belts some time ago and the mechanic recommended to change the other parts in the system too. So we did.

Be very careful for the following detail: on my engine, there is a balance hole drilled into the flywheel... we installed the locking pin in this hole by mistake.  This falsified the valve timing and we found out about the problem when turning the motor over by hand.  No damage done but could have been very expensive.

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, Fiji

On 1 Oct 2019, at 08:16, <mondra@...> <mondra@...> wrote:

Volvo powered owners,

In contemplating the replacement of the timing belt, I note that, for example, Parts4Engines packages the timing belt along with the tensioner and idler. I could not find in the Volvo service manual that those additional items should be routinely replaced as well. What have other owners experienced regarding the tensioner and idler? These parts, at least from Parts4Engines, are considerably more expensive than just the timing belt.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240