Re: Rudder seal

Beaute Olivier

Hello Paul,

no it's not OK to replace the packing material while the boat is afloat. You would then have a strong water ingress while you're working for installing the new stuff.
Do it while you do a new anti-fouling, unless you can't wait because you see alot of water coming in and the nylon nut is already all the way in. Then no other option than hauling-out.

Good luck.

Olivier

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019, 06:47:50 PM GMT+2, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Hi Mark, thank you very much and roger that, I have now tightened it as your information but about a 1/2 turn as it was leaking a lot.

So if I do need to replace the packing material I’m guessing you remove the nut to do this and this is ok while the boat is in the water?

Kind Regards Paul

On 1 Oct 2019, at 6:22 pm, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Paul,

In the Super Maramu there is a large nut at the top of the post.  You tighten it by turning it clockwise looking at it from above.  The general recommendation is to turn it 1/6 of a turn at a time and then wait and check for leaks.  Continue this process until the leak stops.  If it does not ever stop you will need to replace the packing material.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara