Re: Rudder seal

Paul Brown

Hi bill,

No there is no water alarm in the compartment and the hoses and fittings I don’t think were soaked just splashed. There is no real corrosion as I have been maintaining the fittings by a steel brushing as required and keeping them clean lubricated and greased.

I hadn’t thought of a water alarm but will now look into an installation

Thank you for the tip with corrosionX and Carroseal, I haven’t used the products before but will certainly try them now.

Again, it’s great to have your assistance with these matters, thank you so much

Regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17

On 1 Oct 2019, at 8:50 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Paul,

An interesting comment: Mark McGovern states 1/6 turn is usually adequate for a SM. I have seen this true on all SMs and 54s. But what is interesting is that your 55 is now the 3rd 55 that required 1/2 turn to seal. I am not really sure why the difference. BTW, in all Amels, there is a mechanical lock device on the nut which has to be removed to tighten. All of the 55s I have seen came with an Amel-made wrench for this purpose.

Does your 55 have an Amel-installed water Alarm in the steering compartment? Does it work? Did the hydraulic hose fittings get soaked with saltwater? Is there corrosion on the fittings, solenoid valves and pump(s)/ If so, I found that all can be reasonable cleaned with CorrosionX and a stainless steel brush. You may also want to use Corroseal.

Bill
--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 11:47 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Hi Mark, thank you very much and roger that, I have now tightened it as your information but about a 1/2 turn as it was leaking a lot.

So if I do need to replace the packing material I’m guessing you remove the nut to do this and this is ok while the boat is in the water?

Kind Regards Paul

On 1 Oct 2019, at 6:22 pm, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Paul,

In the Super Maramu there is a large nut at the top of the post.  You tighten it by turning it clockwise looking at it from above.  The general recommendation is to turn it 1/6 of a turn at a time and then wait and check for leaks.  Continue this process until the leak stops.  If it does not ever stop you will need to replace the packing material.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara