Re: Rudder seal

Paul Brown

Hi Bill

Do you recommend using both products together, Corroseal and CorrosionX or just either?

Corroseal is detailed as a primer, so perhaps I would use this following the application of CorrosionX?

I’m in Sicily Italy and will look for the products of not I’ll order from the US when I’m back in Australia in two weeks

Thanks again

Regards Paul

On 1 Oct 2019, at 9:20 pm, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Hi bill,

No there is no water alarm in the compartment and the hoses and fittings I don’t think were soaked just splashed. There is no real corrosion as I have been maintaining the fittings by a steel brushing as required and keeping them clean lubricated and greased.

I hadn’t thought of a water alarm but will now look into an installation

Thank you for the tip with corrosionX and Carroseal, I haven’t used the products before but will certainly try them now.

Again, it’s great to have your assistance with these matters, thank you so much

Regards Paul - Fortuna II 55/17

On 1 Oct 2019, at 8:50 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Paul,

An interesting comment: Mark McGovern states 1/6 turn is usually adequate for a SM. I have seen this true on all SMs and 54s. But what is interesting is that your 55 is now the 3rd 55 that required 1/2 turn to seal. I am not really sure why the difference. BTW, in all Amels, there is a mechanical lock device on the nut which has to be removed to tighten. All of the 55s I have seen came with an Amel-made wrench for this purpose.

Does your 55 have an Amel-installed water Alarm in the steering compartment? Does it work? Did the hydraulic hose fittings get soaked with saltwater? Is there corrosion on the fittings, solenoid valves and pump(s)/ If so, I found that all can be reasonable cleaned with CorrosionX and a stainless steel brush. You may also want to use Corroseal.

Bill
--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 11:47 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Hi Mark, thank you very much and roger that, I have now tightened it as your information but about a 1/2 turn as it was leaking a lot.

So if I do need to replace the packing material I’m guessing you remove the nut to do this and this is ok while the boat is in the water?

Kind Regards Paul

On 1 Oct 2019, at 6:22 pm, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Paul,

In the Super Maramu there is a large nut at the top of the post.  You tighten it by turning it clockwise looking at it from above.  The general recommendation is to turn it 1/6 of a turn at a time and then wait and check for leaks.  Continue this process until the leak stops.  If it does not ever stop you will need to replace the packing material.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara