Re: Gearbox for outhaulAmel

Joerg Esdorn

Thanks very much, Bill.  At the suggestion of another owner, I checked the tension of the outhaul line and found it to be iron tight.  Apparently the lines shrink a bit over the years.  This puts a lot of load on the bearings of course.  I now have it loosened so it hangs a bit down without touching the boom.  That reduced the amps to about 20-50.   Still above the 15-20 measured for the furling motor but less than before.   I will wait to take the gear box apart until I reach Vigo where the boat will remain for the winter.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
currently in Cascais