Re: No steering parts, rack & pinion, cables, from Amel

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Emmon,

I think that difference in loading is common when under motor, to do with prop wash over the rudder is my reasoning. As to replacement of cables and rack and pinion. I had play in the steering and assumed it was rack and pinion wear. Not so. Just needed cable adjustment. Easily done near the rudder head. Worth checking first.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 October 2019 at 03:05 Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...> wrote:

Hi

Steering to port is harder than steering to starboard on my SM.  I cleaned the rudder, checked for loose steering cables, and they seem to be OK.  I do sometimes hear a quiet metallic clunk when the autopilot makes small steering adjustments, in addition to the normal noise from the rack and pinion system.  I read the articles in this forum, especially what happened to Aloha, and the files section for pictures.  Finally I decided I should replace the steering cables and the rack and pinion system to be on the safe side.

Here is the problem.  Amel do not have the parts anymore.  They do not intend to make them anymore.  I asked for the specifications but instead was told they might make something to convert my system to hydraulics, when they have time.

I would prefer to replace the worn (I assume) rack and pinion system.  I never opened it up, since I read it is difficult in the forum, and I was hoping that I could replace the parts at the same time.  I am not keen in changing to hydraulics, I am not sure what that would entail.

Does anyone have the specifications for the rack and pinion system, and the steering cables?  Do you know if Amel actually made them or subcontracted the work to another company?

I have the Rotary drive unit connected with a chain to the sprocket behind the steering wheel.  I replaced the autopilot with the Raymarine evolution 400 package 3 years ago. I do not have a second autopilot.  I have a spare rotary drive unit (would this work with hydraulic steering?).

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Denia, Spain.