Re: Lighting strike vs insurance [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu - Main Mast Grounding / Bonding

Jeroen,

Pantaenius has apparently inserted a clause that gives them complete wiggle room to not pay an electronics claim because they do not list a type of system, or approved systems. In fact, there are no systems that will always protect electronics from the electromagnetic surge caused by some lightning.  My guess is that even if you used what Olivier Beaute suggests, the insurance company can easily say that it was not adequate protection, because damage to onboard electronics occurred, and that is proof that your system was not adequate. Regarding Olivier Beaute, there is not a better surveyor in the world and I only recommend Olivier.

If it were me, I would ask Pantaenius if they approve the Forespar Lightning Master Static Dissipater (photo below), which you can buy for about 150€. If this is approved by them, please let us all know and install it for this reason: "You will have insurance when lightning strikes and damages your electronics." If they do not approve this Forespar item, ask them specifically what they approve. If you know a Catholic Priest, he will have a blessing to protect your boat from lightning strikes (Yes, they really do). And, lastly, between you and me, the priest's blessing will work slightly better than the Forespar Lightning Master Static Dissipater.
image.png

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 8:43 AM Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Matt
This was 2 years ago since then they have changed their restrictions in the Caribbean so much for hurricane protection that I have changed to Novamar
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101