Re: Autopilot

Alex & Arno AND others interested

In the early days of the 54 production, there were at least some fitted with the same Raymarine M81134 Type 2 Long Linear Drive 24 Volt units, Raymarine 7001+ control head and a Raymarine autopilot computer (plus fluxgate and rudder ref).  This, BTW, is the reason the photo of the helm in your A54 Manual shows Raymarine:
image.png

Maybe Alex has Raymarine. In that case it is normal for a Raymarine drive unit of this age to be spilling some dust. I believe the dust normally comes from brush wear on the 24 volt motor, but may also be some wear of the 12 volt clutch. The reddish brown color makes me believe it might be the clutch, but the carbon brush dust will turn a reddish color from rust. If I am correct about the Raymarine drive, it is one of those bulletproof devices from the past and you should certainly have it rebuilt, or DIY.

Bill

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 6:43 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Alex,

From the picture it seems you are looking at the rod coming from the steering wheel. Are you sure this is the autopilot cylinder/
Depending on this it’s bad or not great, the latter being the rod.
If it were the autopilot cylinder, I would expect lots of leakage of hydraulic oil as well.

In case it’s the steering cable (the rod) you should consider replacement and for the short term lubrication with grease.